Magic Bones, or Energy Bones, were items that appeared in early versions of MediEvil, such as the MediEvil Rolling Demo and the MediEvil ECTS Pre-Alpha. They were later replaced with Energy Vials and Health Fountains.
There were two types of Energy Bones:
- Green Bone - Picking one up would add it to the Energy Counter, or fill the Life Bar once the Energy Counter was removed.
- Blue Bone - Picking one up would extend the Life Bar. This pick-up was introduced in the MediEvil ECTS Pre-Alpha.
MediEvil Rolling Demo
At the beginning of the game, Dan will have three green Magic Bones. More green Magic Bones can be found in the environment or dropped by enemies, especially the final enemy in a wave of enemies.
Losing all green Magic Bones will cause Dan to lose a Life. A single green Magic Bone is lost when Dan sustains damage from an enemy attack. If Dan suffers a fatal event, such as falling or drowning, then he will lose a Life and his bones will be reset to three.
The Energy Counter will display the first three bones individually. After Dan collects a fourth bone, the bones are stacked and a number will show the current amount. Dan can carry a large number of Magic Bones, but the Counter will not update beyond the first nine, much like the Life Counter.
- MediEvil. Developed by SCEE Cambridge Studio. Published by Sony Computer Entertainment on October 9, 1998.
- MediEvil Rolling Demo. Developed by SCEE Cambridge Studio. Published by Sony Computer Entertainment in September 1997.
- MediEvil ECTS Pre-Alpha. Developed by SCEE Cambridge Studio. Published by Sony Computer Entertainment in September 1997.