MediEvil is a remake of the original MediEvil game for the PS4 released on October 25, 2019. It was announced December 8, 2017 at PlayStation Experience 2017.
European cover art.
|AKA||Overbite (Working Title)|
|Developer(s)||Other Ocean Interactive|
|Publishers||Sony Interactive Entertainment|
|Game engine||Unreal Engine 4|
|Platform(s)||PlayStation 4, PlayStation Now|
October 25, 2019
|Previous game||MediEvil: Resurrection|
September 1, 2005
MediEvil received mixed reviews from critics, who generally praised the game's presentation, but criticized some aspects of its gameplay.
Differences from MediEvil (1998)
While the game remains largely identical in content to the original MediEvil, several new features have been introduced. This includes the ability to toggle between a primary and secondary weapon, first introduced as a feature in MediEvil 2, the "Dan Cam", an optional camera viewpoint which uses an over-the-shoulder perspective, and a compendium of information about the game's characters and enemies, known as the Book of Gallowmere. Optional "Lost Souls" objectives have also been incorporated into the game, which require Sir Dan to complete a mission received from a ghost found in each level; if all Lost Souls objectives are completed, the player unlocks the option to play the original MediEvil on the menu screen, under the name of "Old Game".
- Main article: Gameplay in MediEvil
- Main article: Characters in MediEvil
- Main article: Plot in MediEvil
Sony announced a 4K remaster of MediEvil for the PS4 during the 2017 PlayStation Experience show, revealing scant details about the project, only stating "more details soon".
On October 25, 2018 on PlayStation Blogcast, the project was revealed to be a remake developed by Other Ocean Interactive rather than just a remaster, with a trailer due for release on Halloween.
MediEvil was developed using Unreal Engine 4. The geometry from the original game was used to recreate the levels as faithfully as possible, while certain elements were adjusted with technological advances in mind.
- Main article: MediEvil Original Soundtrack
Andrew Barnabas and Paul Arnold, who had previously composed the soundtrack for the previous three games in the series, returned to compose for the MediEvil remake. The music of the MediEvil remake was orchestrated by Prague Symphony Orchestra. The game's soundtrack consists of remastered versions of music that appeared in MediEvil: Resurrection, orchestral arrangements of tracks from the original MediEvil, and new tracks composed exclusively for the MediEvil remake.
The game's soundtrack was released on October 25, 2019 as part of the remake's Digital Deluxe Edition and is currently unavailable through any other means. This release of the soundtrack also includes Symphony Outtakes and Composer Interviews.
The MediEvil remake released on October 25, 2019. On October 6, 2020, the game was added to the PlayStation Now service.
Players could unlock an exclusive set of 10 PlayStation Network avatars by pre-ordering the game. Featured in the avatars are:
- The Jabberwocky
- Morten the Earthworm
- Sir Daniel Fortesque
- Mr Organ
- Mad Monks
- Dragon Toads
- The Pumpkin Witch
- Guardians of the Graveyard
Certain European retailers, such as GAME in the UK, included a steelbook as an early pre-order bonus for the game.
MediEvil Digital Deluxe Edition
In addition to the game itself, this edition also included the following:
- Super Armour in-game armour set
- The Art of MediEvil digital art book
- Digital comic book
- Original soundtrack
- Dynamic theme
Other Ocean Emeryville
|Design Director||Glen McKnight|
|Cinematic Designer||Peter Rippon|
|Addition Design||Jason Laske|
|Lead Engineer||Ian Sherman|
|Engineers||Ando De Castro (Secret 6)|
Burt Sloane(Monkey Business)
Jay Olivar (Secret 6)
Raf Formes (Secret 6)
|Art Director||Nick Bruty|
|Senior Animator||Justin Rosenthal-Kambic|
|VFX Artist||Gavin Wood|
|Audio Director||Bob Baffy|
|Senior Art Manager||Norm Badillo|
|Associate Art Manager||Kelsey Coffman|
|Executive Producer||Jeff Nachbaur|
|Associate Producer||Bobby Hopper|
|Studio Head||Mike Mika|
|Business Development Director||Tom Russo|
|Director of Finance||Jodi McLellan|
|Chief Executive Officer||Andrew Ayre|
- This is the first standalone MediEvil game to be released on a home console other than the PlayStation.
- Most of the voice clips in the 2017 Teaser Trailer are from MediEvil: Resurrection.
- Remaking Fan Favorites: How Devs Resurrected Crash, MediEvil, Resident Evil 2, and Spyro for PS4 on PlayStation.Blog. Published December 13, 2018.
- Michel, Adam, Days Gone, MediEvil, Friday the 13th headline PS Now’s October lineup on PlayStation.Blog. Published October 6, 2020.
- MediEvil (2019) on Pegi Public Site.
- MEDIEVIL on Australian Classification. Published August 5, 2019.
- 『メディーバル 甦ったガロメアの勇者』 ストーリートレーラー on YouTube.
- MediEvil on ESRB.org.
- MediEvil (메디이블) on 게임물관리위원회. Published July 31, 2019.
- MediEvil on Unterhaltungssoftware Selbstkontrolle. Published July 26, 2019.
- Tailby, Stephen, Guide: MediEvil PS4 - Tips and Tricks for Beginners on Push Square. Published November 12, 2019.
- MediEvil - Changing One’s Perspective | PS4 on YouTube. Published October 10, 2019.
- Tailby, Stephen, MediEvil Review (PS4) on Push Square. Published October 23, 2019.
- Tailby, Stephen, Guide: MediEvil PS4 - How to Unlock the Original PS1 Game in the Remake on Push Square. Published October 31, 2019.
- Vikki Blake, MediEvil remake "feels like Dark Souls", says PlayStation on GamesRadar. Published August 25, 2019.
- Kate Remington, Bob And Barn's Fresh Music For 'MediEvil' Re-Release on WSHU. Published November 15, 2019.