|Behind the scenes information|
|Voiced by||Harry Dickman (MediEvil)|
|Appears in|| MediEvil (1998)|
Information Gargoyles were gnarled old Spirits from the Spirit world who manifested themselves as Stone Gargoyles and rooted themselves about the land of Gallowmere.[4.1] They were the wise brethren of the greedy Merchant Gargoyles.
In 1386, the year Zarok returned to enslave Gallowmere, Sir Dan met two Information Gargoyles in his crypt right after waking up from his eternal rest. The first gargoyle taunted Dan for his failures at the Battle of Gallowmere a century ago, while the other gargoyle defended him, remarking that Dan was granted another chance to become a real hero this time.
During his journey throughout Gallowmere, Dan met more Information Gargoyles. Some taunted him, while others gave him somewhat helpful advice.
The last Information Gargoyle Dan encountered was at the City of Madness, just outside of Zarok's Lair. The gargoyle was surprised by Dan successfully getting so far and gave Dan advice for the battle ahead.
Information Gargoyles are green stone carvings of demonic heads with horns and a goatee. In their mouth they have two protruding fangs.
Although quite clever, the Information Gargoyles have a snarky sense of humour, looking down on Sir Dan for being a fraud. However, they do occasionally give out helpful hints.
Whenever a gargoyle speaks, one can observe three traits of speech uncommon to other characters: first, they refer to themselves in the plural; second, they intrinsically pluralise their verbs; and lastly, referring to Sir Dan as "it" instead of "he", though this decreases in prevalence as Dan advances in his adventure.
There are a total of twenty Information Gargoyles in the game spread across seventeen of its levels.
- Dan's Crypt - Two gargoyles appear in the hallway at the start of the level.
- The Graveyard - A gargoyle appears next to the level exit.
- Cemetery Hill - A gargoyle appears in the hallway leading into the Witches' Coven.
- Return to the Graveyard - A gargoyle appears at the exit after the Guardians of the Graveyard boss fight.
- Scarecrow Fields - A gargoyle appears at the level exit after getting past the final contraption.
- Pumpkin Gorge - A gargoyle appears at the level exit.
- The Sleeping Village - A gargoyle appears on the left from the starting point. It will automatically initiate a conversation with Dan, warning him to not harm the villagers.
- The Enchanted Earth - The first gargoyle appears where the Shadow Demons tomb and the emergency exit is located, and the second gargoyle appears next to the proper level exit. The second gargoyle will initiate a conversation with Dan automatically, berating him for releasing the Shadow Demons.
- The Ant Caves - A gargoyle appears at the start of the level.
- Pools of the Ancient Dead - A gargoyle appears in the starting area, before the bridge.
- The Lake - A gargoyle appears next to the exit door with crystals.
- The Crystal Caves - A gargoyle appears next to the cavern entrance after the bridge.
- The Haunted Ruins - The first gargoyle appears next to the castle entrance after the portcullis, and the second gargoyle appears next to the iron gates further in. A gargoyle's voice is later heard after Dan opens the lava flood gates.
- The Entrance Hall - A gargoyle appears at the start of the entrance.
- The Time Device - A gargoyle appears in front of the clock puzzle platform.
- Zarok's Lair - A gargoyle appears next to the entrance on the right-hand side.
- Hall of Heroes - A gargoyle appears next to the hall entrance on the left. Unlike other gargoyles, this one has something new to say after Dan obtains more Chalices.
Behind the scenes
Information Gargoyles are supporting characters in MediEvil, its remake, and MediEvil: Resurrection. They serve as the game's hint system alongside the books and also provide the narrative flow of the plot to the player.
MediEvil (1998 original)
In certain mid-1998 versions of MediEvil, Information Gargoyles appeared in greater numbers than in the final game, although there were no voice lines for them at the time. Most of them were replaced by books in version 0.32, a change that was retained for the final game version.
In the cheat menu's sound test section, there is an unused line of dialogue spoken by a gargoyle who was removed from The Enchanted Earth level:
- "Well about time too, thought I was going to be a permanent addition to this mossy hell hole!"
MediEvil (2019 remake)
In their official artwork, the Information Gargoyles wear a door knocker-like object with an eyeball. However, this is absent in-game.
Information Gargoyles were voiced by the late Harry Dickman in the original MediEvil. Dickman was personally picked out by Jason Wilson due to his performance in Mr Kipling commercials. These original audio recordings were later re-used for the 2019 remake of the game. Dickman passed away in August 2020.
In other media
2012 – PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
A gargoyle serves as the narrator for Dan's introduction, rival cutscene and ending in the game's story mode. Another gargoyle, who uses a model similar to the MediEvil: Resurrection gargoyles, also appears in "The Graveyard" DLC stage. It has unique taunts for thirteen of the game's characters, including Sir Dan.
- MediEvil: The Official Strategy Guide. Published by Dimension Publishing in 1998.
- Page 9
- Chris Sorrell (@Trepan) on X (formerly Twitter) (archived version at Internet Archive Wayback Machine). Published August 21, 2019. Retrieved November 2, 2022.
- "It was an elderly actor who was known in the UK for voicing some of the later Mr Kipling cake TV commercials. I liked his voice and wanted the gargoyles to sound a little similar so auditioned and used him." — Jason Wilson (@GunnWriter) on X (formerly Twitter) (archived version at Internet Archive Wayback Machine). Published November 3, 2018. Retrieved November 2, 2022.
- MediEvil script. Preliminary script written by Jason Wilson. Dialogue script written by Martin Pond.
- McAllister, Gillen, How MediEvil’s PS4 remake will please both newcomers and veterans of the PlayStation classic on PlayStation.Blog. Published August 20, 2019. Retrieved November 21, 2022.
- "Harry Dickman, who played George the security guard in 'In the Forest of the Night,' died in August aged 87." — Obituaries in Doctor Who Magazine, Issue 556, page(s) 12. Published September 2020 by Panini UK Ltd.
- Books – series-wide sources of information.
- Al-Zalam – partial counterpart in MediEvil: Resurrection.
- Professor Hamilton Kift – counterpart in MediEvil 2.
- Winston Chapelmount – counterpart in MediEvil 2.